We’ll help you identify the symptoms to get the treatment you need.
What are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are small red or blue veins that spread out like tree branches on the surface of the skin. These clusters of enlarged capillaries are a smaller version of varicose veins and a less serious type of blood vessel clusters (telangiectasias). They often appear on the legs, feet, and other areas. We see spider veins that affect both women and men, although they seem to appear more frequently on women (50-55%). Spider veins have the same underlying cause as varicose veins, but they are much smaller. They are closer to the skin’s surface and look red, purple, or blue. They occur on the legs and ankles but are also common on the face.
Why do I have Spider Veins?
Anyone can be affected by varicose veins and spider veins. There are some factors that are known to contribute to the development of vein problems
- Age: Veins lose their elasticity over time, causing circulation problems.
- Family Health History: Venous insufficiency runs in families.
- Height: The taller you are, the more likely you are to develop spider veins.
- History of deep vein thrombosis: A previous blood clot increases the risk of additional vein issues.
- Inactivity: Sitting or standing for a long period at work, during travel, to as a lifestyle inhibits blood circulation.
- Physical Trauma: Damage to blood vessels in the lower limbs can lead to venous insufficiency later.
- Pregnancy: Hormonal changes, blood pressure changes, and weight gain contribute to vein disorders.
- Gender: Females are twice as susceptible to the development of spider veins.
- Weight: Excess weight contributes to increased pressure in the veins of the legs.
Causes of Spider Veins
While there are many causes of spider veins, such as genetics, obesity, sunburn, and hormone changes, spider veins are most often created when the valves controlling blood flow become weak or damaged. This failure of the vein valves results in the backup of blood or the enlargement of the veins. Suggested preventative measures include wearing sunscreen, regular exercise, weight control, avoid long periods of sitting or standing, avoid wearing high heels or crossing your legs for an extended period.
Some effective treatments options are:
Non-surgical treatment options include:
- Wearing compression socks
- Exercises such as walking or swimming
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Elevating the leg when resting
When non-surgical options are not working, surgery might be recommended. One of our preferred surgery options for spider veins is foam sclerotherapy. In sclerotherapy, a chemical foam is injected into the vein to seal it. After this simple procedure, which can be done in the doctor’s office, your spider veins will turn into scar tissue that fades over the course of a few weeks.
Symptoms of Spider Veins
Though being primarily treated as an appearance issue, spider veins should be looked at by our vein specialists, as they could be a first sign of another underlying problem. Symptoms may include:
- Unsightly appearance
- Consistent itching
- Throbbing in the leg
- Leg pain during prolonged periods of standing
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms, contact our clinic to set up a personal consultation with Dr. Naifeh. Keep an eye out for other trouble signs in the spider veins – bleeding, spreading or changing color. Seek medical care especially if you have any sign of liver disease, such as yellowing skin, swollen stomach, or history of alcohol abuse.
Testimonies from our patients:
Excellent! The doctor and his assistant was very helpful. The treatment was fast and pain free. I will give them 10 stars!
The staff of the doctors were very knowledgeable and friendly! Can’t wait for my follow-up appointment!
Dr. Naifeh and his staff were terrific. They were very thorough and ensured that I fully understood the process, my options, and what to expect. Very pleased!
Texas Pain Vein and Vascular was such a great experience. The medical staff was courteous, kind and helpful. They provided me an education on the process. The doctor was highly-trained and qualified. What a pleasant experience – I would have never expected this level of care for treating spider veins!
My Varicose Veins treatment made one spot disappear within 24 hours. It’s only been three days and the other areas already look better too. The treatment works, it was not painful and I was in and out in less than an hour. Thank you!
The staff was very professional, nice and helpful. I would recommend to anyone looking for treatment of veins. I was very pleased with my service.
I was very happy to learn that Dr. Naifeh offers advanced vein care for men. He took care of something I had tried to hide by keeping my legs covered. But now I am very proud to show off my legs!